Simon Bell was a Wellington climber and TTC alpine instructor. He was last seen at Esquilant Bivvy on January 14, 2015. He had intended to climb the west to east face of Mt Earnslaw.
Simon gained a great deal from his membership of the Tararua Tramping Club, the Wellington Section of the NZAC and the Canterbury Mountaineering Club. He learned mountaineering skills through club courses, went on many trips and made good friends.
He enjoyed sharing his experiences and love of the mountains through trip reports, presentations and AIC instruction. In helping others to develop mountaineering skills and foster a love of the mountains, this Scholarship honours Simon's memory.
Read more about Simon here.
Applicants may be students of AIC or TTC alpine instructors undertaking further training.
To assist recipients to participate in TTC's alpine instruction or another appropriate NZ climbing instruction course e.g. NZAC high alpine skills course or recognised alpine instructor training.
Value $500 per award with two awards per year for 10 years.
Criteria for awards
- Leadership in the outdoors or a desire to improve the ability to lead.
- Perseverance and the desire to overcome challenges and improve.
- Commitment to improving personal safety and/or the safety of others, while climbing.
- Commitment to help other climbers through volunteering.
- Passion for climbing.
- Applications are now closed for 2016.