Thank you for offering to talk at the Tararua Tramping Club. Our Tuesday club nights are enjoyed by our members and friends. We promote your talk on the TTC website. A picture or two to use in our publicity is requested, and we are happy to link to any websites you request.
Our meetings are held at our clubrooms at 4 Moncrieff Street, off lower Elizabeth Street, in Mt Victoria. We provide you with a car park immediately outside the clubrooms, marked with an orange cone.
Please arrive by 7:10pm so we can make you at home. We can assist in setting up and using the audio-visual equipment. We have a sound system so all attendees can hear the presentation, and offer you the choice of a head microphone, lapel microphone, cordless hand microphone, or stand mounted microphone.
You have about 40 minutes, from 7:40 to 8:20, for your presentation, followed by 5 minutes for questions from the audience. This will probably give you time for about 60 to 80 slides, depending on the duration you speak to each slide.
Audiovisual equipment and software
The club provides a ceiling mounted data projector for displaying your presentation. A Windows 10 laptop is available for use with the following:
- Powerpoint 2019. See PowerPoint training
- Image, Video, and Audio: VLC media player, Photos, Films and TV, FSViewer, IrfanView. See the viewer's guide for usage instructions.
- Browsers, Pdf: Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Adobe Reader DC
- WiFi internet connection: please do not rely on this to access streaming content from the internet.
- USB A drives: alternatively you can download or play your presentation from cloud providers such as Google Drive, One Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc. There is no DVD drive
To assist with presentations a bluetooth presentation remote including laser pointer (pdf instructions) is available; see the instructions below.
A presenter's light is available for your notes.
Using your own device
You are welcome to bring your own device. It will need to be able to connect with a HDMI (type A, see image) cable for display, and have a headphone jack if you have audio. If you have a HDMI mini or micro socket you will need to provide an adapter.
Please contact our club night organisers Liz Martin -> mailto:ttc-clubnight [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query%20from%20TTC%20website on (04) 938 6311 or Julia Fraser -> mailto:ttc-clubnight [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query%20from%20TTC%20website on (04) 586 8466 or Elizabeth Bridge -> mailto:ttc-clubnight [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query%20from%20TTC%20website on (04) 972 5848 if you have any questions.
Media in your PowerPoint presentation
The club's data projector has a maximum resolution of 1024 horizontal x 768 vertical (or 720p). TTC recommends that you compress the media in your PowerPoint presentation to provide a better experience. Microsoft provides the following recommendations:
To ensure your presentation includes media files you can export it
- set play options for a video in PowerPoint, play full screem, start automatically
- insert a video from your PC into PowerPoint, do not link to video files
If presenting photos from a folder instead of a PowerPoint presentation, the photos will display in alphabetical order of the image name
- image names will need to have been named with dates e.g. yyyy-mm-dd hh.ss, or numbers e.g. 001, 002, 003 etc, (not 1, 2, 3 otherwise the slides will be shown in the order 1, 10-19, 100, 2, 20-29, 200 etc)
- see the viewer's guide for detailed instructions
Presentation remote and laser
|Button||Presenter Mode (LED=Orange)||Media Mode (LED=Blue)|
|Up button||Turns laser on as long as button is pressed.||Play/Pause|
|Down button||Black screen toggle||Stop|
|Left button||Page up, last slide||Previous song/video|
|Right button||Page down, next slide||Next song/ video|
- press and hold for ~1 second to power on and off
- press and hold for 3 to 6 seconds to pair
Use the microphone like an icecream – not quite licking it, but the closer you get to it the better the sound will be and the least chance of feedback.
Useful Powerpoint keyboard shortcuts to deliver presentations
You may find it useful to be familiar with some PowerPoint keyboard controls:
|F5||start presentation||Shift+F5||start presentation from current slide|
|space||next (or N, enter, page down, right arrow, down arrow)||backspace||previous (or P, page up, left arrow, up arrow)|
|B||display black screen (or full stop)||W||display white screen (or comma)|
|number enter||go to slide number||Esc||end presentation (or hyphen)|
|tab||go to first or next hyperlink on a slide||shift+tab||go to previous or last hyperlink on a slide|
|Alt Q||stop playback||Ctrl+space||play or pause media|
|Alt P||toggle pause and play||Alt U||mute sound|
|Alt up||increase sound||Alt down||decrease sound|
See the viewer's guide for instructions on showing images, and playing audio and movies