Field Hut, (20 bunks), was comissioned and built 1924 by woodsman Joe Gibbs? for the Tararua Tramping Club. It was the first hut the club built, followed later by Kime Hut, Tauwharenīkau Hut, and Cone Hut.
It is a club owned public hut in the Tararua Forest Park, located near the bush edge, on the Southern Crossing track, above Otaki Forks.
Field Hut has a historic designation, and has the distinction of being the oldest tramping hut in the Tararua Forest Park, and the oldest remaining hut specifically built for tramping.
There is a display of historic photos of the hut in the hut.
Department of Conservation information on Field Hut
Field Hut near the bush line on the track above Otaki Forks
Field Hut is a Standard hut, located at -40.907847, 175.256212. It has 20 bunks with heating, mattresses, toilets - non-flush, water from tap - not treated, boil before use, and water supply. Bookings are not required, usage is first come, first served.Field Hut alert
Ōtaki Gorge Road closed to vehicles and pedestrians
The Ōtaki Gorge Road is closed to vehicles and pedestrians due to a major slip. Ōtaki Forks Campsite is closed.
There is an emergency track that you can walk to gain access to Ōtaki Forks. It is 5 km long and can be accessed 200 m past the locked gate on the Ōtaki Gorge Road.