TTC Introduction to Ski-touring Course (ISC)
This two weekend course aims to teach club members the fundamental skills needed to complete an easy grade ski tour in New Zealand backcountry terrain.
Participants must be TTC members with intermediate-level skiing ability: you need to be confident skiing blue runs, for example, the Whakapapa Knoll Ridge T-bar.
- Ski touring clothing, gear and equipment
- Skiing with a mentor to gain confidence skiing on variable snow away from groomed slopes
- Tactics to deal with weather, terrain and snow conditions
- Transitioning between skinning, climbing and skiing
- Basic terrain assessment, route selection and trip planning
- The course involves skiing and travelling on snow that can be icy, crusty or heavy (slushy) at times.
- For safety, we carry crampons, ice axe and avalanche gear on the mountain. If you have not done alpine instruction we can teach ice axe and cramponing basics in-situ should conditions require it.
- Participants need to be fit enough to carry packs with overnight gear and share of group food.
- Travel to Mt Ruapehu from Wellington will be in the club's 12-seater van.
$450 to $500 depending on group size. Includes food, transport, accommodation, ice axe, crampons and avalanche gear. Touring ski hire is extra.
Schedule - 2018
|Monday October 8 2018 (6pm to 8pm)||Intro meeting and ski/boot/crampon fitting at Tararua clubrooms, Moncrieff St, Mt Vic.|
|October 13-14 2018 (travel Friday evening)||Instruction Weekend - Based at Tararua Lodge, Mt Ruapehu|
|November 3-4 2018 (travel Friday evening)||Overnight trip on Mt Ruapehu (as weather permits)|