August 6 – 7 2005
What Contributes To An Enjoyable Billy Stew?
- a variety of meats
- a large variety of winter vegetables
- a tasty gravy mix
- a fire-blackened billy
- good company
- an open fire place with a ‘busy’ fire
- an adequate supply of dry wood
- a day of absolutely ideal Tararua weather – a cloudless sky and NO wind
- a 10 hour tramping day; made up of track travel; off-track travel; bush bashing; and bush grovelling
That was our Saturday. Otaki Forks car park; up the Waiotauru track; past Waiotauru Hut on the true right of the river; up the spur that leads to Renata A  on Renata Ridge; and along to Renata Hut.
What Are The Benefits Of An Enjoyable Billy Stew?
- a relaxed chat around a warming fire in a winter-chilled hut
- sharing bush knowledge with a hunter hut-mate
- a contented night’s sleep
- an energized feeling the morning after
- enthused anticipation of another 10 hour tramping day
- another cloudless, windless Tararua day
That was our Sunday. Renata Hut to Maymorn Junction; up and over Kapakapanui; north along the Henderson Shelter route; over Pukeatua; north along the ridge top and down to Otaki Forks.
- The contentedly – satisfied trampers were
- Dave Reynolds, David Molnar, and Bill Allcock