Cone is an open hut, and part of the DoC Back Country Huts system. Cone Hut has a historic designation. The hut was built using the rare technique of adzing Totara timber into framing and splitting it into slab walls.
The hut was restored in the 1980s and is the second oldest hut in the Tararuas, and one of the best examples of an original slab hut in the country.
In 2015, following vandalism, the hut was again restored, and Totara slabs from the demolition of HVTC's Baines Hut in Ōrongorongo were used for the woodshed. The hut was given a tanalised plywood floor, replacing the dirt floor, plywood was overlaid on the Totara slab sleeping platform, and a water tank was installed. From the TTC's annual Tararua 2015 .
- Department of Conservation information on Cone Hut history and facilities
- See also Tararua Footprints
- Cone Hut is on the Holdsworth to Kaitoke tramp
For detail of the hut's building history, consult Ron Pynenburg's 1981 thesis 'Huts of the Mount Hector Track'. In it Ron details how TTC members constructed the hut during the months of June to November 1945, then the hut was officially opened in March 1946. Interestingly, quite a few of the original totara slabs were pulled from either the old Cone Saddle Hut or Top Tauherenikau Hut, both of which were then derelict.