Old Kime Hut, (20 bunks), was built in 1978, to replace the Kime Memorial Hut, built 1930 by Joe Gibbs for the TTC. It was a club-owned public hut in the Tararua Forest Park, and provided shelter and a ski hut, on the tops of the Southern Crossing, below Field Peak.
It could sleep 20-30 comfortably, but forty adult sized bodies (at a squeeze). When inside the hut, one looked for the hidden loft, great fun trying to climb up there! (ahem...dodgy...)
Work began on a replacement for Old Kime Hut, on a site just to the south. In 2014 Kime III was completed and signed off, after the hut failed a council "code compliance" because the window flashings did not follow the specifications. Having no stove, it is still somewhat cold and damp. Nevertheless it's layout, window configuration, insulation, and greater size make it a great improvement over Old Kime Hut.