Tararua Tramping Club
On this page... (hide)
Throughout its ninety year history the Tararua Tramping Club has built and maintained many huts, most of them in the Tararua Ranges. By the 1970s up to eleven huts were being maintained by the club. Today we maintain four tramping huts and our Ruapehu mountain lodge.
Cone , Field and Kime are "open" huts and all lie within the Tararua Forest Park.
Waerenga is a locked hut in the Rimutaka Forest Park.
Cone is an open hut, and part of the DoC Back Country Huts system. Cone Hut has a historic designation.
Old Kime Hut, (20 bunks), was built in 1978, to replace the Kime Memorial Hut, built 1930 by Joe Gibbs for the TTC. It was a club-owned public hut in the Tararua Forest Park, and provided shelter and a ski hut, on the tops of the Southern Crossing, below Field Peak.
It could sleep 20-30 comfortably, but forty adult sized bodies (at a squeeze). When inside the hut, one looked for the hidden loft, great fun trying to climb up there! (ahem...dodgy...)
Work began on a replacement for Old Kime Hut, on a site just to the south. In 2014 Kime III was completed and signed off, after the hut failed a council "code compliance" because the window flashings did not follow the specifications. Having no stove, it is still somewhat cold and damp. Nevertheless it's layout, window configuration, insulation, and greater size make it a great improvement over Old Kime Hut.
Field Hut, (20 bunks), was built 1924 by woodsman Joe Gibbs for the Tararua Tramping Club. It is a club owned public hut in the Tararua Forest Park, located near the bush edge, on the Southern Crossing track, above Otaki Forks.
Field Hut has a historic designation, and has the distinction of being the oldest tramping hut in the Tararua Forest Park. There is a display of historic photos of the hut in the hut.
In 2004 the Field Hut 80th was celebrated.
Waerenga Hut, is the club's hut on the eastern side of the Orongorongo River in the Rimutaka Forest Park. The club has had a hut near this site since 1931. The current hut was built in 1961 and moved to its current site in 2009, after it was undermined in the massive floods of 31 March 2005.
The hut is well placed for the many walks and tramps available in the Rimutaka Forest Park, including the climb of Mt Matthews, and trips to other peaks, the South Coast, Wainuiomata, and the Wairarapa. Or just as a place to relax away from it all. There are 13 single mattresses in the hut.
The hut is locked, and is available to members free of charge. At times it is available to responsible school groups and similar for a fee. Potential non member users must be known to a club member. Non member fees are $10 per adult per night, and $5 per child over 5 per night.
Contact the booking office Barry Durrant -> mailto:ttc-waerenga [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query%20from%20TTC%20website on (04) 470 7879 or Alan Wright -> mailto:ttc-waerenga [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query%20from%20TTC%20website on (04) 499 2213 for details.
Waerenga appears to mean "clearing", an appropriate name for a hut.
Our huts are a special part of our club heritage, and our club activities. Please report any hut damage, or other relevant information, to TTC's Huts Convenor Grant Timlin -> mailto:ttc-huts-convenor [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query%20from%20TTC%20website on (04) 233 1619.
Page last modified on 2013 Dec 31 21:11
Edit - History - Recent changes - Wiki help - Search About TTC Contact us About the website Site map email page as link -> mailto:?Subject=TTC:%20Huts&Body=From%20the%20TTC%20website:%20Huts%20(http://www [period] ttc [period] org [period] nz/pmwiki/pmwiki [period] php/TTC/Huts)%20[[TTC/ConeHut, Field, Kime, Waerenga, and Tararua Lodge. ]]