Thank you for agreeing to lead a Tararua Tramping Club trip. As trip leader you set the tone of a trip, facilitate the activity, manage the logistics and people's needs, and oversee group safety. Be positive, enjoy the responsibility, and help everyone in the party to enjoy the trip.
Before the trip
- A leader must be in good all-round condition in order to discharge his or her duties, so consider if you are in good shape to lead your trip. If for whatever reason you cannot lead your trip, please advise the Adventure Coordinator Amie Claridge -> mailto:ttc [period] adventure [period] coordinator [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on 021 252 7457 and then either arrange for a substitute leader or postpone the trip.
- Make yourself familiar with the area to be visited; maps, Tararua guide book, DoC track descriptions.
- In addition to GPS, and maps and a compass, take a mountain radio, satellite phone, or PLB.
- Obtain permission to camp on or cross private property.
- Plan your trip well: probable length of days, river/bush/tops travel, type of track/ route etc. Trip planning template
- register and email your trip intentions with Adventure Smart, or
- leave an Intentions Form with a responsible person
- Have an alternative trip of the same grade in mind, should the weather make the advertised trip impractical.
- Come along to Clubnight to promote your trip, and try using the Email news groups, and the website (check fixture details).
- Club tramping is a social affair, therefore four is a good minium number for a multi-night trip.
- Check with all persons on the trip to ensure that they know the grade of trip you will be leading and establish that they will be fit enough to cope (fitness, skills, medical conditions etc).
As leader, you decide who goes on the trip
- Remind group members to obtain hut tickets or annual hut passes.
- Where appropriate, direct members to the Weekend Gear checklist and the Minimum Impact Code
- Discuss foodgroups, clothing, equipment, special gear (for work parties, gorge trips etc) and transport with trip members.
- Where appropriate, co-ordinate group travel bookings, and reimbursement for drivers (see schedule).
- Compile participants list, intentions and emergency contact numbers and email to the Adventure Coordinator Amie Claridge -> mailto:ttc [period] adventure [period] coordinator [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on 021 252 7457.
- If you are in any doubt about any of the above points or you want to change the route or departure time consult the Adventure Coordinator Amie Claridge -> mailto:ttc [period] adventure [period] coordinator [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on 021 252 7457.
During and after your trip
- Remember to relax and smile.
- Choose a tail-end-Charlie for each sector.
- Ensure that the hut log book entry is made at each hut, entering participants' names, annual hut pass or hut ticket numbers and group intentions.
- Use the Club's stickers (available in the Gear Room) in hut intention books to highlight our presence in the area.
- Coordinate re-stocking of firewood, sweeping out, and stacking of mattresses before departure from each hut.
- As leader, you are responsible for any borrowed club gear, so note who is carrying it and arrange for its prompt return to the gear room (please dry the tents and clean the billies).
- Report member and non-member numbers on trip, track and hut conditions and a brief account of the trip to the Weekly Activity Reporters -> mailto:ttc [period] weekly [period] activities [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website .
- Write, or have someone else write, a short account of the interesting features of your trip for the Tararua Tramper, and TTC on Facebook.
- If it is a long trip or one of particular interest arrange for a longer and more detailed account for publication in the Tararua Annual.
- Consider preparing a presentation of your trip to the Club for a Tuesday night meeting.
- Consider if you have an update for Tararua Footprints if you were in the Tararuas, if so contact the Tararua Tramper's Guide team leader John Thomson -> mailto:ttc-tararua-footprints [snail] ttc [period] org [period] nz?Subject=Query from TTC website on (04) 479 2527
See the trip leadership kit.